View Single Post
Old 04-17-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktmd View Post
Mike,

A few of the larger collectors and myself put together a master check list a few years back using our own collections and auction lot history. No S74-1 Chase silks are listed with Red Sun or Helmar backs. Also, no blue ink printed Chase S74-1 silks are notated on my list with any back. I still find unknown variations as I recently picked up a White with blue ink OM back and an Overall blue ink TR (no frame) back. Neither were on the master list. They are unique or previously undiscovered finds. I think it is possible you will find a blue ink S74-1 Chase silk. As far as finding one with a Red Sun or Helmar back, that is possible, but any Red Sun is very rare and Helmar nearly impossible with any player front

S74-1 silks clearly have the 3 color inks. Blue, Brown and as Bob C pointed out a red/ rust color that Burdick refers to as red in the American Card Catalogue. As far as S74-2 I think there was blue ink and a rust/red ink or brownish red. I am not convinced that there is a separate brown and red ink on the colored silks. It is hard to know with all the silk color variations that can skew the ink colors. I have close to 300 colored silks and did a detailed separation of the various master colors of the S74-2 silk on the S74silk website. However light exposure or variation of color make for variations beyond the different ones I show on the site. Best of luck in your hunt for the elusive blue ink Chase.
Interestingly enough, I was able to track down a blue ink S74-1 Chase. I found it on ebay. I had it graded shortly after it arrived to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk