View Single Post
Old 04-26-2023, 05:46 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I agree, the Wax Box is a collectable by itself. No reason to open the box at these high prices hoping for a certain card. If a person was trying to get high graded cards I would buy the factory sealed sets ( at a much lower price) and you know the card will be there and probably in at least the same or better condition. So buy the wax box and kept unopened and buy the Factory Set at less than 1/2 the price and get the cards graded (if your an investor).
Exactly my point, the unopened wax box is the investment/collectible itself you're now "gambling" on appreciating.

Think of what an unopened box/pack of Old Judge cigarettes, known to have an OJ card inside, would potentially go for in today's market, if one is even known to exist. Can only imagine what some serious collectors would pay for one, with absolutely no intention of ever opening it. Meanwhile, unopened '80s wax is still being opened today by those hoping to hit the lottery ang get a big cash windfall by pulling a star/HOFer card in that ever elusive 10 grade. And every time they do, that's another one less of that particular unopened wax product that now exists.