View Single Post
Old 05-30-2023, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees70 View Post
Looking at his current and previous auctions he lists ample cards as NM-MT or better. Does this mean on cards that are centered there's a better than 50% chance that these cards will receive at least an 8 from PSA? I understand that not every card will but let's say a buyer purchases ten centered cards that GM grades NM-MT or better how many can be expected to receive at least a PSA 8 grade? Is there a realistic chance that some might come back a 9?
That's a very pertinent question. I'll preface this by saying that my area of hobby knowledge is more towards the autograph end, so please keep that in mind and take from my thoughts what you will.

Firstly, I believe it's difficult to directly answer your question in regards to how any card will grade with a TPA based solely on reviewing scans, so I can't truly answer that for you.

Why I find your question so interesting is because I have seen many cards they have listed at "NM-MT or better" which did leave me scratching my head. IMHO, this is a very strong grade to be assigning any card and should be used extremely sparingly. These are my feelings only, but I don't think I should be able to notice any overly visible faults in scans of cards that are given this grade. Such a card should be so nice that any blemishes aren't readily picked up by a scanner and are noticed more up close, with card in hand (and sometimes the use of a loupe or other tools could even be required). Am I so wrong in thinking that I shouldn't encounter easily discernable issues in scans of such cards? Now, it goes without saying that the issues are usually minor, but there they are, front and center. A corner or two here, centering there. No squinting required. This is an honest question; not meant as a complaint or to stir up controversy. I've always thought GMC does a great business.