View Single Post
Old 07-24-2023, 09:38 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Greg: As you know, I made a reproduction of this Dodgers 3-D pennant a few years ago over on Pennant Factory. For a variety of reasons, I had to draw the bum artwork free-hand, so I studied the artist's work in close detail. When I got to his outstretched left hand, I made the same observation....

Not because of any holes present; but, because of the way the artist drew the fingers. It's an odd pose ... almost like he should be clutching something that would hang below his hand? What else would belong in that hand? Maybe the handle of a plastic lantern ... but the lanterns never arrived on time?? (That actually wouldn't have looked too bad.)

Be that as it may, I don't think there was ever any intention by Collegiate of Ames of placing anything in this hand. I've never seen another of these with holes in those same spots. Since Collegiate used real wool, this pennant's holes were likely just made by a critter looking to feast on a 70/30 wool/rayon blend.
My first inclination was the exact same. But on closer inspection, I don't think it's a stretch to surmise the Bum was holding something in that left hand. Why else would the artist portray it in that awkward and unnatural position?

I don't know if there's any significance to the two tiny holes, but perhaps the Bum was meant to be holding a cigar or a bottle of booze. Willard Mullin often portrayed the famed Brooklyn Bum in that manner. And perhaps that feature never came to fruition or was scrapped because it might be deemed too controversial or inappropriate for kids. Just brainstorming since the positioning of the left hand bugs me as well.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos