Thread: Gene Bearden
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2023, 03:35 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Okay, so I gave my beater 1950 Bowman Gene Bearden, which, due to it's beater condition, was worth peanuts, to someone who couldn't give a damn about his false history.

I guess that is better than what I did with a Hal Chase t205 when I discovered what a piece of $#@& he was. I cut it up and flushed it down the toilet. I was then vilified by card collectors here on net54 when I announced having done so. Tough tarts! I wanted that jerk's card gone!

I agree with your approach to collecting...I don't have any Pete Rose or any of the steroid group....

So yes, you card investment guys who are only into cards for the money, the back story and history is important.
I have always purchased more cards with emotion than with financial goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
If we all destroyed the cards of people who did something we don’t like or was wrong, there would be no cards left.

Well, but I do believe in standards, and with that in mind, I would rather collect Jackie, Aaron and Clemente than Rose and Palmeiro...or, now, Bearden.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-04-2023 at 03:36 PM.