View Single Post
Old 09-30-2023, 08:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell View Post
I bid for the set in extended hours. The bid said I was winning. I waited 30 minutes and no bids. The website said I won the set, same this morning and later that morning it said I lost. I understood that the bid on the set had to be higher than the total of individual lots. I didn’t understand I had to add up all the individual lots myself in the middle of the night. Other auction houses tell you if the individual lots are ahead. I would have bid higher had I known. If it got too high there were individual cards I would have gone for. I felt misled and deserved better treatment after bidding more than 600K for the entire set and not learning until late morning that I “lost.”. The consignor lost too. It’s a bad day for me, for Heritage and the consignor — but a good one for the good people who ended up being deemed high bidder on the individual lots as I had no warning I needed to bid again and the website said otherwise.
I watched this unfold last night and was cringing for the high bidder on the entire set lot. Heritage screwed this up so badly it was impossible to believe. Not only, as Powell said, could you not tell from bidding on the various BG lots as to whether the individual lots or the full set was ahead in the bidding, but the full set high bidder couldn't bid any more once no one bid for 30 mins on the full set lot -- the lot was closed. So Powell had to watch as the individual lots were still allowed to take more bids, making it impossible for him to raise his full set bid and defeat the cumulative total of the 12 individual lots. If I was the leader on the Cobb card, but because the cumulative total of the 12 lots was 10K less than the full set bid -- which was now closed -- I would have just bid up the remaining open individual lots in order for the total of the 12 lots to surpass the amount of the full set high bid. Which is exactly what happened: the Rabbit Maranville card received late action solely to allow the individual lots to surpass the full set bid. I'm astounded that Heritage could have screwed this up so badly.

Last edited by calvindog; 09-30-2023 at 08:16 PM.