View Single Post
Old 10-01-2023, 11:44 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Ted, Pat, double thanks to both of you.

As to the printer failing to change the ink for the backs... I'd think it was a conscious decision. It's a pain to scrape the previous ink out of the pan, and then clean everything. And then put different ink in there. It would be easier, take less time, and slightly more cost effective to use what brown ink you had in the pan, and then add black as the brown was used. There may be cards out there that are mainly black, but just ever so slightly brownish black.
Hi Frank,

I think for the most part it has to do with when they were printed and/or what facility they were printed at. I think the Sub Rosa's in the T59 set which were printed in the same timeframe as the T206's are a good comparison to the T206 Lenox.

The color variations in the T59 set is something that is discussed on a regular basis among those that collect them. Many people think most if not all of the questionable color variations are the result of fading or a chemical reaction. The more research I do on the Sub Rosa's the more I think the color variations found on that particular back are the result of different inks.

I still have a lot more research to do on it but almost all of the Brown variations that I have seen come from two out of a possible 14 different factory and series combinations.

Factory 129 is found on series 2, 3, and 4 and all of the brown backs that I have seen are from the 4th series.

img869.jpg

Factory 229 is found on all 4 series and all but one possible brown series 3 that I have seen the rest are from the series 2

img870.jpg

img656 - Copy.jpg

Factory 606 is also found on all 4 series and I've yet to see any brown factory 606 backs.

img871.jpg

Factory 649 is found on series 1 and 2 only and to me most of these have a faded grayish tint to them but I have yet to see one of these that look brown to me.

img875.jpg

As I stated above I still have a lot more research to do on these but if the brown found on this back was do to fading in my opinion they would be found on more than two specific backs and factories.