Old 11-22-2023, 01:27 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Todd,

I confidently disagree. They are fakes.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Brian Van Horn
You may disagree all you want, confidently or otherwise. I am happy you are not bidding.

I have owned and examined one of these from the first find. Others here have owned and/or examined them. To my knowledge, no one here or anywhere other than you and your "dealer" from all those years ago seems to say otherwise. You offer no explanation as to what is off about them, only that this source apparently would not have had reason to lie to you. Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean he just wasn't plain wrong, because if he told you these were fakes, he was in fact wrong. Maybe he figured because some Henry Johnson and Kendig's had been faked using these same photo subjects, Herpolsheimer's must be as well, given there was no catalog listing them. Of course, those others involved cards with stamped backs, whereas these were clearly printed.

I have no idea as to the credibility of your source, and I mean no disrespect in saying this, but I have had some dealers at the National tell me with bold self-assurance some things about m101s that have made me walk away either shaking my head or chuckling. In short, they are not all experts. When it comes to obscure card issues, my attitude is to trust but verify whatever I'm told. I did that here. I have since sold my example and have no investment in the matter that could influence my opinion, and of course my opinion is of little weight anyway.

I am glad you are happy, gleeful or whatever you said about not bidding on these. Remain confident in your beliefs as you state, and I will do the same. Enjoy the Holiday.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-22-2023 at 01:27 PM.