View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Just as an FYI, Topps did try that exact strategy in 1970-71 especially with the semi-hi series each year. For some reason those two years are backloaded with many of the best players. And I'm not talking about someone like the 1970 Nolan Ryan who was not at that level then. I'd love to hear what our resident Topps historian, Dave Hornish has to say about why those years were issued like that.
There's no actual info as to why Topps put certain players where they did for those years (or most years) but I'd expect they smoothed out their national distribution a little after the problems that zenithed in 1967. Look at 1968 and (especially) 1969, those highs aren't really all that tough but the sets are shorter than the 1970-72 era's even with seven series. Star power in the final two series in both 1968 and 1969 is severely lacking.

But then it snowballed to tougher highs again in 1970 and then even with six series in 1971 and 1972 you're back to a traditional kind of high series those three years. Mix in the MBLPA extracting more money from Topps in the late Sixties and you can see that maybe salting in a steadier diet of stars would make sense to keep interest from flagging, and the semi's do indeed seem to have had more big names than the highs those three years, although the 1970 highs are pretty well-stocked.

I vividly recall everybody looking for the Bench card in 1970, especially after the AS card was issued. It sure seems like one or two big names held back for the highs was the plan. Here's some details...

1968 Semi's: Multi-player cards with Clemente, Mantle, Mays and the Robinson's appear. F. Robby's regular card is in here too. NOT BAD BUT THE MULTI-PLAYERS SAVE IT.

1968 High's: Jim Palmer is the sole "big" name and that's merely hindsight as he was hurt in '67 and missed all of '68. No multi-player cards either. WEAK.

1969 Semi's: Middling at best, just a couple of multi-player cards and no big names save Ted Williams as a manager on one of those. WEAK.

1969 High's: Fergie Jenkins (off two 20 win seasons) and Ted Williams are pretty much it. WEAK.

1970 Semi's: Frank Howard (big at the time), Cepeda, G. Perry, Cleon Jones (a big name that year), Rose, Mays, Banks. LOADED.

1970 High's: Kaline, Bench, F. Robinson. Ryan is merely hindsight. NOT BAD.

1971 Semi's: Banks, Yaz, Killebrew, Palmer (finally established), Mays, Cepeda, Brock, Clemente. LOADED.

1971 High's: Boog Powell (big at the time) and some gimmick cards. WEAK.

1972 Semi's: B. Robinson, Rose, Marichal, Kaline, P. Niekro LOADED.

1972 High's: Carew. WEAK.

Last edited by toppcat; 02-05-2024 at 11:17 AM.