View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 06:58 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Even some of us set registry goons are waiting/hoping for more affordability.
Nico - I don't think of people that have registry sets as goons. People with registry sets are "focused". I get it, improving the set is easier to do when there's a number associated to it.

When the leaders of the pack go to all lengths to be #1 (or in the top 5, or however crazy registry people measure things), then to me it's a bit over the top and not my way of collecting. That said, sorry, "crazy" was a bit over the top to describe the top registry people and just because I don't aspire to be a registry leader doesn't mean other collectors shouldn't try to because it's different strokes for different folks. See the next response to Steve, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Everyone has their own opinion on these things. I do not believe that the bat shit crazy market for Ricky Henderson rookie PSA 10's has raised the interest level or market value one iota of raw cards or the same card in a PSA 1, 2 , etc. Maybe it has raised the value of PSA 9, as speculators think that they will break it out and go for a 10.

Rising tide pf the grading game may have lifted a few boats. Not all of them.
Steve - For newer material, you're probably right, the price of a PSA 10 doesn't raise the price of the cards graded much lower at 5 or even 6 because there are SO many of them. Even those "unicorn" 10s are not going to raise the prices of the lower grades examples (unless you're looking at 9s, as you mentioned).

When considering vintage cards, the population difference is drastic when compared to a modern set (even going back 40 years for modern material). In most cases, it's much easier to find a lower grade modern card than it is to find that lower grade vintage card. There's so many more modern cards available. There's stuff still in wax boxes that haven't seen the light of day.

That said, I'm sure demand has increased for lower grade vintage cards because of the rise in popularity of collecting pictures of dead guys on cardboard, but as people pay more for the higher grade vintage cards, the price for lower grade vintage increases a bit more than when compared to the lower graded counterparts in the modern sets.