View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 09:25 AM
James M.

I find myself coming back to this thread.

This card will forever hold a special place in my collecting memories. I've told parts of this story before. Many years ago, up in Cooperstown NY I wandered into a small show a the Cooperstown Veterans Club, right across the street from the Hall of Fame. I was 10 years old. I spoke about cards to two very kind Gentlemen, one of them was Dealer George Mollyn, who is still somewhat active in local shows (last I checked) around the PA area. I chewed his ear off about the 1933 and 1934 Goudey sets. The other was our resident expert, and fantastic person, Ted Zanidakis.

After joining here many years later, I reconnected with Ted. We exchanged many emails, however looking back on it, I wish we exchanged more. Constantly having conversations centered around baseball. Especially players from Ted's youth. Phil Rizzuto always managed to come up in our conversations as well. When I finally had the opportunity to meet Ted in person, I went to the first Philly Show after Covid, over to Ted and Dan McKee's booths. We again talked cards and baseball for quite sometime. It's an experience that I will forever remember.

Ted in his showcase had this Phil Rizzuto card. It may have been a coincidence but I'd chalk it up to fate. I knew I had to purchase it. It will stay in this holder and be part of my collection until the end of my days. Ted touched many lives, and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to talk to him. I would like to think he is looking over us, but knowing Ted, he's arguing with Burdick over some obscure issue involving Tobacco cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg RizzutoTedZ.jpeg (63.1 KB, 245 views)

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.