View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 02:05 PM
J@son Per1

This is more anecdotal but my impression is that a lot of people who got back into the game 3-5 years ago (such as myself) started with post war Vintage. Since that stuff is mostly plentiful, the itch was scratched and now these same collectors are less interested in midgrade vintage from the 50s and 60s partly because they own most of it that they wanted but also because the thrill is somewhat gone. I have made the shift to pre war, but not top tier stuff (cobb, ruth, shoeless joe, matty, etc.), but the tiers below that. I suspect that stuff is doing pretty well overall, as it's a way to get into the post war game without spending your 401k. I have been building Red Sox sets, which are all affordable other than T.Speaker, Joe Wood and certain Duffy Lewis's and even those are within reach.

I have gotten the T206 bug, but I have zero interest in Piedmont or Sweet Caporal (even the rare variations of those backs). The tiers below those have much more appeal for me. Someone mentioned off backs are doing well and I'm not surprised to hear that.