View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
PSA/DNA does not grade photos, they are merely authenticating whether they are Type 1-4, essentially, which speaks only to the photo's generation. I don't think they take into consideration restoration or what in cards would be deemed altering, in their final assessment.
What I was told by a couple of major auction houses now makes sense after reading what Lorewalker mentioned. Basically, at the National last year, I brought a photo to show to some of the major sports auction houses, so I could get a feel for the value of that photo. It had an uneven cut to the top of the photo but it was agreed that it was likely a Type I photo and that I should submit it and get it slabbed. It was a photo that had been used for a 1950 Bowman football card. Both of the auction house reps I visited with told me to trim the top so it looks better, before getting it slabbed, as it would also likely not affect the price I might get for it. That make sense now since there is no grading option and only just authentication that is offered.