View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 05:37 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Before being called up by the Washington Senators in July of 1939, James Barton "Mickey" Vernon (my second most favorite Senators player when I was a kid in the 1950's) played in 76 games and batted .343 for the Springfield (MA) Nationals of the Eastern league, a Class A minor leage affiliate of the Senators. The earliest Vernon collectible I have is this advertising photo issued by a Springfield clothier:
What a great piece, Val! And what a great player and man Mickey was. In 2007, Mickey and I were two of a contingent of four who threw out the first pitch on Opening Day--the White House wouldn't send anybody that year because VP Cheney got booed so roundly when he did the honors the year before. I had Mickey to myself in the "green room" for about half and hour before they called us out, and I asked him about his rookie year of 1939, when the radio broadcaster was none other than Walter Johnson. Of course, Mickey remembered that year, and Johnson, well, and it was a treat to hear stories about it from someone who was there! I got him to sign the ball I threw out, and it's one of my treasures.