View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 10:57 PM
Frank Wakefield

About that 1910 paper...

If that printed piece is authentic, and the paper dates to 1910 (I don't know that nailing it down to that precise year is possible), then I can envision that a 1910 printing date is possible.

However... let me get onto ABE Books, give me time to find a folio hardcover book circa 1910... It'll be highly likely that there will be end pages that are !9" tall by 12" wide, and the end pages will most likely be blank. I could then print cards on those thick end pages depicting circa 1910 players. That printing could happen in 1910, 1980, 2010... no telling when, although I suspect that if the printing was less than a few months ago that could be detected. I concede that I don't think there are many options available today to successfully create lithography as lithography was in 1910. But then we don't really know that the sheet has that printing quality. On that sheet, I initially thought of the proof centering lines, and the splotches of various colors, as something to decoy the casual observer into assuming that it's authentic.

My point is that to merely test a sample of the paper, forsaking other testing options, doesn't result in sufficient information that really proves much of anything definitively.

Having said all of that, I still think it could be genuine. But it just doesn't look right to me.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 05-06-2024 at 10:59 PM.