View Single Post
Old 05-16-2024, 05:30 AM
Steve

Smile Clickity snap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Definitely subtle differences between photos #1 and #2. Did hi-speed photography exist when the photos were made? If so, then the two photos could have come from the same exact shot, same leap, split-seconds apart. I don't know. Photo #3 looks nothing like #1 and #2. As you say, the fence is totally wrong. Could be the angle, if you look at second base, but I just don't think so. I admit, I looked at #3 to assume the man on the ground is Shuba, assuming all 3 came from the same shoot.
Sure did exist in 1953. The photographer would set up his high speed camera on an tripod and snap shots at a rapid clip. Thus, the two shots of Reese over second base were snapped while he was hanging in the air. If you look at the base runner's feet, they actually move about a half foot or so over the bag in the time between the two shots. As for photo #3, I think it was shot in a different ballfield and on a different day, maybe even a different year. Not only is the outfield fence completely different (you can tell it is second base shot from the same angle by the shape of the infield grass cut), but if you look closely at the undershirts Reese and the runner are wearing, they are very different in the photos. In the card photo, temperatures appear to be cooler, as both players are wearing heavier undershirts with elastic cuffs, while in photo #3, both players are wearing light-weight undershirts with shorter sleeves. Not the same shoot at all.