Thread: Slabbing OBAKs?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default Slabbing OBAKs?

Posted By: MW

Jeff,

I don’t agree. Over the past two years, the hobby has seen a resurgence in vintage minor league, northern league, and pacific coast league issues. Of particular interest has been the Obak series –- the PCL equivalent of the T206s. And while some collectors have become bored with seeing the same old T206 cards time and time again, Obak cards create a sense of scarcity and excitement among many vintage collectors. The prices paid for some of these cards, particularly the 1909 issue, has been reflected in aggressive price increases both in terms of Internet sales and Standard Catalog listings.

Also, I think runscott would have done much better had he submitted his Obaks to SGC for grading before selling them. Whether or not some hobbyists like “slabbed” cards, there’s no denying that an SGC 6 or SGC 7 T212 McArdle is going to invite bids from some collectors who might never considering buying that same card in a “raw” state. SGC is rapidly becoming the grading company of choice for vintage collectors and getting high-grade Obaks graded could only enhance their legitimacy & appeal.

And no, I don’t have any graded Obaks for sale