View Single Post
Old 02-05-2002, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Default T205 Pecking Order - Question for Doug and others

Posted By: TBob

Everyone can see Lipset's difficulty gradients for the T205s and check out their SCDs, but I think there are some hidden tough as nails cards out there in this set. Everyone knows how impossible the Hoblitzell no stats is, the dynamic duo of Graham and Shean Cubs, Collins mouth open, etc., I wanted to find some hidden toughies. I hesitate to spring my gleaned knowledge on the board because I know I'll be bidding against you guys in the future on these suckers, but here goes:
The Mystery 5 Tough Guys (in descending order)
5. Rowan. Yes this appears on everyone's list of the 50 toughies but damn this is not only very hard to find but almost impossible to pick up in EX or better shape. Maybe the yellow background has something to do with the fact that when you do find one if is usually soiled (and beaten up).
3. Tie. McAlister and Lee. The two tough ones in the minor league subset. Try and find a McAlister without a crease. Much tougher than the other minor leaguers in my experience. Watty Lee is also a killer. I have seen twenty "Nee" cards (also a T205 minor leaguer) for every "Lee" card. Very tough to find in top shape. One was on ebay last week and was the first "clean" Lee I have seen in a long, long time. I think it was a PSA 4, maybe 5.
2. Joss. I don't know what it is about this card but it is another one that is truly scarce plus you NEVER see one without a crease. One on ebay 2 years ago or so which was snared by Doug Allen (I think), that has just about been it. I see 15 Bresnahan mouth opened for every Joss.
1. Surprise, surprise. Hoblitzell again. OK, you say, big deal, everyone knows the prices for a Hobby no stats. Ahhh, this is a different variation. There are 5 different Hoblitzell variations: Hobby no stats, Hobby with one "L" in name on back, Hobby with Big "Cin" in stats, Hobby with Little "Cin" in stats and this one, the plain jane vanilla Hoblitzell spelled correctly with NO Cin in stats. Think it is easy to find? Although every seller and his dog on ebay trumpets the traditionally held "rare 'Cin' on back" variation cards, there are zillions of them compared to this one. This variation is second only to the no stats numero uno card. Someone on ebay picked up a VGEX Hoblitzell 2"L's" no "Cin" on ebay recently for around $125-130 and got a steal! I have a complete set of T205s in excellent condition and I'll be darned if I can find an upgrade for my G/VG Hobby 2L's No Cin.
OK, that's my 2 cents worth.