View Single Post
Old 03-13-2002, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Default Childhood memories

Posted By: Julie Vognar

till I was grown up. My best friend was a boy (till I was 10), but he collected comic books and listened to baseball games. In 1945. he talked me out of being a Cubs fan (that was the last time the Cubs were in the Series...) I remember him showing me the first Captain Marvel (I didn't collect comic books either). I collected rocks, and as soon as I was able to pry my mother's Leica out of her hands (she NEVER learned from experience), I took photographs, in school, at night, inside, always of people. I still love black-and-white photography.

Dunno when I first saw baseball cards, but my son got me hooked when he was 9 (1979). By the time he lost interest at 13, he had to tell his father to tell me; he was afraid to tell me himself.

He got some great letters from old guys: "Dear George: You write a nice letter. Be good to your parents, say your prayers daily, and the Lord will blass you. Jocko Conlon." (he always signed his age under his name). When he wrote Snyder he thought Pee Wee should be in the Hall of Fame, Snyder signed a '52 Topps and dropped it in an envelope to him."Thank you for remembering my playing days of so long ago." (Lindstrom or Covaleski). Even FAMOUS old guys like to be "remembered" by a ten-year-old boy.