View Single Post
Old 12-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default An interesting twist on insured sales

Posted By: Tom

I don't really see a problem with his system as long, as others have stated, it is outlined somewhere in writing where you have some recourse if your shipment is lost or damaged. Many people insure items outside of the normal post office or UPS/Fedex insurance rates with the insurance company they may have insurance on their stock with. When I shipped a large lot of goods to a large auction house, I used UPS and the auction house paid for the insurance via a separate rider which I was faxed a copy prior to shipment.

SHAMELESS PLUG........and I know some people aren't gung ho on UPS but by the time you pay priority mail and insure for $100, you're paying more than what UPS or even Fedex ground would charge on a one-two pound package 3-4 zones out. Postal insurance is very steep at basically $1.00 per $100 coverage after the first $2.00 for $100 total. UPS (and Fedex ground, I believe) insure every package for the first $100. Also don't confuse the new 'pay for tracking' service the post office has with any type of insurance.

Collecting on claims..........had a couple of items broken by the post office and it was VERY slow to collect. If the amount is under $100, it is generally a little quicker. Unfortunately, insurance is a necessary evil, the way I see it. I just don't trust anyone (including UPS, who I work for) when it comes to large $$ items. I want insurance on items going postal (no guns) in the $50 and up range generally.

Also.........be sure to carefully understand WHAT can or cannot be insured for full value. Collectibles and one of a kind items are very questionable under some circumstances.