View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Default Graded cards--do you collect them or not?

Posted By: leon

I buy cards graded or not. If I do buy a graded card it will NOT be from one of the phony baloney companies. When I get an (in my opinion) expensive card I will have it slabbed to protect it from me AND I like the idea of a 3rd party telling me it is not tampered with. At this point in my young collecting career, with the help of a black light and 10x-15x loupe, and with my little bit of experience, I can usually tell a bad card myself. The SGC holders do look good but I will reiterate what someone else said. I do miss being able to touch the cards when they are slabbed. On the other hand everytime a high priced card goes in and out of a sleeve, in it's naked form, there is a little bit of wear. If you don't think there is any wear then you are wrong. I remember taking my most famous card in and out of it's sleeve (and smelling it)and trying to be oh so careful. Now if I accidentally drop it on a table it's no big deal....I also want to add that I collect cards for all of the reasons that have been stated before and not necessarily the money aspect of it. But with the amount of money a lot of us have in them, keeping their prestent condition is also important....regards all