Thread: ebay question
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default ebay question

Posted By: TBob

I have been on ebay for several years and can relate my opinion and experiences, having been a buyer of more than one package which was lost in the mail. I normally don't purchase insurance if it is optional unless the item is $30 or more or unless it is something truly unique and in my mind irreplaceable. I have had 3 items I bought on ebay lost in the mail and since I didn't purchase insurance, I had to "eat it." All I asked was that the seller doublecheck to make sure the item was sent (twice the seller apologized as an item wasn't sent) and that a "trace" be placed on the item from the place of origination to my home. This did no good but I tried.
The bottom line is the seller is not responsible if the buyer doesn't purchase insurance. One more note, be careful if you buy a delivery confirmation that your postal worker enters it in to the system. If he doesn't, you are S.O.L. The only repercussion you might have in your case is a negative feedback from the buyer. You might weigh this against the amount you received from the buyer to see if it is worth it. I have never left negative feedback for a seller when an item was lost and not his fault, but there are some real squirrels out there on ebay.
One more thing, I almost always purchase delivery confirmations myself out of my own pocket on any package where the buyer rejects insurance because I just don't want the frigging hassle. They are fairly cheap and save headaches.
Good luck!