View Single Post
Old 08-29-2003, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default Why I don't do wantlists

Posted By: Hankron

Adam I undersand what you are saying. However, looking at my 90 percent figure (my experience, not neccesarily matching others'), I don't understand what is my incentive to start doing wantlists again.

Realize that, since I'm have esoteric and often unique photographs, my requests are not on the order of "Do you have a T206 Neal Ball Vg to Ex?" or "Do you have a 1987 Topps Barry Bonds?" or "Do you have a Mickey Mantle signed baseball?" Most of my requests are on the order of, "Can you find images of Bob Williams, a 2nd basebaman, when he played for the 1919 Syracuse team" or "Can you help me find images of Lou Costello when he appeared at the Rocco Theatre?" or "My dad Billy Bob played backup linebacker for the 1952-7 Oklahoma Sooners. I'm not sure what number he wore. Can you locate me photos of him playing?" Meeting these types of requests often is something that you have to take the afternoon off for, or even the afternoon plus the next morning. Meeting many wantlists is literally a couple of hours of research. I hope that, considering these types of scenarios rather than the typical trading card wantlist, most will understand why I have choosen not to persue these types of wantlists.

At some point, I've considered entirely digitalizing the collection, both for show and for potential sales/wanlists (they could look it up themselves)-- but that would be quite the undertaking.