View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Default My prediction is ...

Posted By: Hankron

A common argument I hear is that steroids doesn't matter, because it can't help a player's timing, eye contact, contact etc (which, in part, is incorrect as the added strength alone increases a batter's bat speed and reaction, which increases the batter's amount and quality of contact. This is particularly true where 'catching up' to the high heat or fending of the tough slow splitter is essential to being a high average hitter, much less a power hitter. Even Wade Boggs or Tony Gwynn will tell you that being able to get around on a high fastball is essential, even if you don't hit 8 home runs a year, and not being able to get around is why people are in AA). Beyong that, whenever the argument is raised that steroids doesn't matter and that it can't make a quality player better, my answer is : Why, then, do they take steroids? Is it because they want to enjoy the possible side effects of impotence, hair loss and testicular cancer at the age of 45? Or do they enjoy having injected un-scientifically tested drugs into their veins at 7am by a man who never took a nursing or medical class in his life?