View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Default Best Deal I Ever Had

Posted By: J Levine 

Hello all. Had an interesting and exciting experience this past weekend in Las Vegas and it actually occured with baseball cards. I was in town for a meeting of fellow collectors from a group I belong to. Saturday morning, most of the group went golfing, I however don't golf, so I went to a local Mall card show. Very little in the way of Vintage cards (only one card pre-1950). As I was looking at some '61 Fleer (that I later bought at a decent price), an older man brought out a binder and tried to sell the dealer some cards. The dealer said he might be intersted but went back to talking to his friend and essentially ignored the older gentleman and his cards. I soon found out why. The older man turned to me and asked if I was interested. I said I would take a look. In the front of the binder was some newer sets that included things like a Donruss coke set, etc. I said I was mostly interested in old cards. He said to turn towards the back and that the newer stuff, he collected for his favorite current players. The guy had collected cards for nearly 70 years!! He had given most away or sold some but I flip to the back and see a bunch of pages of 1941 Playballs. 8 pages full. As I am talking to him about Forbes field and growing up in Pittsburgh I finally ask how much. He says how much do you have. I tell him I can only give him three hundred out of my atm but the cards are probably worth thousands. He said he thought three hundred was fair since he paid a penny a pack in 1941 for them! He also liked the fact that I am a teacher and that I collect for the fun, not the profit. I ended up buying a complete set in vg+ condition of 1941 Playball for $300!! Yes, the whole set including the Williams (vg-ex), Dimaggio (vg) and Reese (vg+). I never imagined I would own a '41 Playball set in this kind of condition. Heck, I never imagined I would own a '41 Playball set!

So, my question to the gang is, what is your best purchase ever?

Still flying high knowing MY 1941 Playball set resides in my safety deposit box.

-Joshua