View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default Another chop-shop destroys baseball history

Posted By: ramram

this is just one more reason that autographs suck! Sorry, but unless you're a kid and you get it in person I don't see how it holds much interest. In many instances, the document as a whole is what is historically important but many have been cut and destroyed for the autographs. I know that's not most people's opionion, but... Anyway, I think the killer of this episode is that it was an original team SCOREBOOK from the earliest years of baseball. You just don't see much of that (in fact, Wright's are some of the only ones I know of). Not only that, but the continuity is ruined as well. These cut-up pages contain a lineup from a different game on the back of the pages so that the front and back don't even constitute the scoring for a game. I believe somebody else did this a few years ago to one of Wright's scorebooks but at least they left them in complete sections (there are several sections within each scorebook) so at least the complete games were still there. I don't think there is any problem parceling out historical items within reason but you have to have some moral obligation for the truly one-of-a-kind items. Nobody owns them forever. You're just renting them until your time comes due.