View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone know anything about an ebay buyer-seller

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

My vote goes to Bellan. Nava was a full decade later. While they were both definitely Hispanic, Bellan was born in Cuba, Nava in San Francisco. I realize the issue isn't about birthplace, but ethnicity, however.

As far as the argument that the first Latino wasn't Bellan because the National Association wasn't a "Major" league, I just think this is incorrect. Take a look at the all-time leaders for shutouts. Obviously you've got Johnson at #1 with 110, followed by Alexander's 90 at #2.

But Bob Gibson is listed at #13 with 56. According to Nick he should be tied with Pud Galvin at #12. But Galvin is actually tied with Ed Walsh in the #11 position with 57 shutouts. 56 in the National League, 1 in the National Association when he was 18 years old.

Take away his 1 shutout in the National Association and Walsh stands alone at #11, Galvin now comes in at #12 but now he's tied with Gibson, who just moved a spot up.

Following Nick's line of thought, not only do Marsans and Almeida become the 1st Latin Major Leaguers, but the record books need to be re-written.

The best analogy is Fleet Walker and Jackie Robinson, which was mentioned earlier.

Come to think of it, is the American Association a "Major" league using the same logic? If not, then Jackie Robinson was indeed the first black Major Leaguer. Not counting Roberto Estalella, of course.

Nick, are you saying Jackie was the first black Major Leaguer?

-Ryan Christoff