View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone know anything about an ebay buyer-seller

Posted By: Kenny Cole

Tom,

I don't think we really disagree that much. Neither do Matt and I. With respect to the level of Negro League play, you are correct that there was often a player of HOF caliber playing next to a player of far lesser ability. I suppose to some degree the same type of thing can be said of MLB. For example, while I don't particularly like Bonds, in my opinion he is so far ahead of anyone else on the Giants talent-wise that there is no comparison. That's why he's walking so much and hurting my roto-league stats.

My statement about caliber of Negro League play was based upon reading a number of interviews with various Negro Leaguers. Many of them said the quality of Negro League team play OVERALL was between AAA and MLB, citing a lack of bench strength, pitching depth and training as reasons why. That's just not my opinion, its what they flat-out said. Since they played in the very league they're talking about, I presume they have knowledge and insight that I do not and will not ever possess. Therefore, I must also conclude that they are probably correct. As previously stated, I also believe that many Negro League stars would have been stars regardless of whether they played in MLB or any other league.

I'm also not as worried about the statistical aspect of things as you seem to be. Many people are working on that issue as I write this. Information about the Negro Leagues is being unearthed daily. We probably will never have a complete statistical record, and mistakes may be made, but the same can be said of 19th Century baseball stats. So it goes. I can live with that.

When all is said and done, I think your analogy to Japanese baseball if probably fairly accurate. However, if someone wants to define some of the Negro Leagues as being of major league caliber, it isn't going to cause me any heartburn. I don't necessarily agree with such a characterization, but I do think that valid arguments can be made either way. That's my two cents.

Kenny