View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Default Future collecting generations

Posted By: jay behrens

As long as basbeall remains popular in this country, vintage card collecting will always be strong. When slips to second class status, then it will be in trouble.

There is a real need for a feeder system, as was pointed out. Kids can no longer pick up a pack of cards cheap. It's all refractor this, insert that, and mom and dad aren't gonna drop $3 plus on something like that.

You need that insitial seed, but the tru vintage collectors generally don't emerge until they hit their 30s when they have settle into a career and family. Age also helps you appreciate history more.

Someone mentioned that they get asked what is goning to be the next hot collectible. I've done pretty good at doing this. I hit the action figure market before it took off. I also had a nice collection of board games before that market did a brief boom. And yes, there is a market for early fast food toys and other fast food related items. Even old 7-11 Slurpee cups saw a huge price jump just a few years ago. The key is to look for something that everyone knows about or bought, but tended to throw away. Also look at what was popular with kids 20 years ago. That's a good indicator of what 30somethings are goning to be chasingto try and recapture their childhood. And it won't be the Pokemon and Power Ranger cards and toys, but the more disposable stuff from those shows that people threw away but that you still loved as a kid.

Now if I told what I was hoarding now, I would have to kill you

Jay