View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default An Interesting Report and a Trivia Question

Posted By: Kevin O

I recently bought a collection of Troy, NY, newspapers from 1879-1882, covering the span of the Troy Cities National League stint. There’s an interesting report in the September 10th 1880 paper regarding the game the day before, in which the Troys lost to Providence by a score of 1-0:

“Ewing and Bruthers (sic) made their first appearance on the Troy nine yesterday, and the impression they created so far as playing is concerned was very favorable. Ewing is a good catcher, and his work yesterday was done without an error. He also secured a base hit, which is more than can be said of Bruthers. Three times now the Troys have been Chicagoed.”

Troy was shutout by the strong pitching of Providence’s Monte Ward. The Trojans lost the game on a throwing error by Tim Keefe. Roger Connor was at third for the home team and Mickey Welch would pitch the following day. What would you give to be able to sit in the stands at that game?

What I find most amazing is that Troy ended the 1880 season 41-42, its best record in the four years of the team's existence. My question is this: has there ever been another squad that finished below .500 with as many as five future inductees?