View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Default 1869 Peck & Snyder Observation & Question

Posted By: barrysloate

To answer some of the questions: The Creighton actually has a biography of him on the back, with just a smaller ad on the bottom. He was a deceased hero at the time so they gave him the honor of the write-up. The card is trimmed and may have a bit of back damage, so as I remember there may be a little part of it difficult to read. I haven't seen it in many years. It used to be Mark Rucker's so I saw it many times at his house. The new owner is a close friend of mine but I probably haven't seen the back since Mark sold it in 1995.
The back of his Cincinnati is the same as the one Julie has- I know because I sold it to him. I also owned the one Julie has at one time- and I believe she is aware of this. Over the years I have handled about 5 Cincinnatis, plus a Chicago, a Mutuals, and a Philadelphia Athletics. I've seen two Brooklyns but never had a chance to own one. I've also seen a photocopy of the 1870 Lowells, and know it exists, but never saw it in person.
As far as the owner, I know he reads the board, so he is free to identify himself if he chooses. In 2005 the Smithsonian is publishing a coffee table book on great collections; he and I even wrote an article for it together on collecting 19th century, so at that time he will be better known. He owns the best 19th century historical collection in existence, but prefers to keep a low profile. He's not a hermit, and is happy to show his collection( and some of you know who he is). But it just isn't my place to reveal his name. Please don't take it personally