View Single Post
Old 08-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default Why Insult The Buyers???

Posted By: jay behrens

Being bleesed with an incredible memory, I had little use for price guides beyond the cursory glace to update myself on new values. Even still, I never found it neccessary to quote the high book value to someone in order to justify my prices. If you are collector, you better damn well know the market for what you collect.

I never had a problem educating someone that wanted to learn about new sets, etc, but using the prices for commons can be misleading, especially with sets that have known scarcities that are not reflected in the guides. A perfect example is the Sherman Lollar card from the 55 Topps set. This is almost always one of the last if not the last card needed to complete the set, yet price guides don't reflect this. Also, telling a novice the high book on a VG will do nothing but confuse him or make him think that card is more costly than it actually is.

A dealer, or anyone alse for that matter, that quotes high book for anything other than a NM card is lazy and looking to try sucker people into paying extra.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.