View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Default A grading company Project

Posted By: gdporter

I have raised this issue with PSA once before. On that occasion - years ago when grading submissions were through dealers - I was attempting to verify my suspicion that the dealer had swapped my card and returned a lower grade card to me (as evidenced by the curious disappearance of a gum stain, etc.). My thought was that PSA would be able to confirm, based on certification number, whether the card that I received had, indeed, just been graded in the last few days. In response to my questions, PSA informed me that they did not hand out such information, and that they purposely "randomized" the certification numbers so that people could not tell which were "old grades" and which were "new grades." Their concern (probably a well-founded concern) was that collectors would start paying different amounts depending on how recent the grade was, ostensibly on the basis that more recent grades were using a tougher standard.

That said, I understand that there is a way of telling the "vintage" of a PSA grade by reference to the design - and presence or absence of holographic seal - on the back of the card. But I do not know the details of this system.

I have not asked the same question of SGC, but I believe that they also randomize the numbers for the same reason. On the other hand, they are very good at compensating you if an older card will not cross under their current standards.

Hope this helps.