View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Default fake M101-5 Ruth

Posted By: Dennis W.

At first glance the card shows all of the signs of being real. Not your typical Ruth reprints seen everyday on ebay. But after closer inspection and a little investigating I have a theory:

After looking at this seller's feedback I noticed that he has spent hundreds of dollars on early newspapers featuring the Yanks and the Babe and at least one book from the Ruth era. All with nice photos that are card-like. I also notice that in his ad he states "no refunds on un-graded cards" although he states it's authentic. He also states that his scanner is "grainy".

Factor this in with the lame excuse of not having cards graded and it could add up to this card not being a card at all. I think it's a cut-out. Also notice the difference in the colors of the front scan and the back scan. I don't think they're the same. Lastly look closely at the front scan and notice the odd black ink spots.

There are quite a few periodicals that show/advertise the m101-5s including the Sporting News newspaper that he seems to know so much about. Just a thought...