View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default t206 Polar Bear Question

Posted By: Morrie

I was going through my 206's the other night when I noticed something strange. I have 2 Doolan (batting) cards, both with Polar Bear backs. On one of the backs, there are two letters missing from the word "Series" (that is, it reads, "Ser s"). There's also a printing imperfection in the B in "Bear." On the other back, all the letters are printed normally.

Curious, I went through the rest of my 206's and found one other card with the same exact imperfections (Bradley). Unfortunately, I don't have a second Bradley Polar Bear to which to compare the "Ser s" version.

It looks rather like a plate got damaged or gummed up or something, and if I hadn't been able to verify (1) that I have the same player/pose with 2 different versions of the Polar Bear back and (2) that the exact same imperfection occurred on a second card, I wouldn't have bothered posting.

My suspicion is that this is just a printing glitch that isn't meaningful, but on the off chance that this might be some rare uncatalogued variation, I thought I'd post and ask whether anyone else had noticed this.

I'd post scans, but I don't own a scanner. I can take a pic of the 2 Doolan backs with my wife's digital camera this weekend if need be. For now, I'm at work, and was more curious than anything.

thanks

Morrie