Thread: Grading
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Default Grading

Posted By: Judge Dred

The inconsistent "human" subjective nature of people grading cards will render any grading scale useless regardless of whether or not the grading companies go to a fractional grading scale or even if they all come together to create an industry standard.

It's like they say, if you build something idiot proof they will build a better idiot. In grading terms if you make a standardized grading scale they'll find a way to deviate.

I'm not against grading, I just don't agree with a lot of the grades I've seen on encapsulated cards. If a card is encapsulated at least it is protected (unless you get a grading company that does a sloppy job of sealing the cards in place, but that never happens).

The truly sad part about grading is that a lot of people will base their valuation of a card on the grade shown on the grading label. I've seen enough leniently graded cards to know that depending upon someone elses opinion is kind of foolish, especially in the case of high ticket items. I'd rather see a card in person or I'd rather see high resolution scans to make my own determination - time for me to shut up.