View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default Exciting New Discovery Of One Of The Earliest Known Cards

Posted By: Jason

Hi Petecld, Thanks for your comments.

You are right, its all speculation. None of these claims are concrete, I am just suggesting possibilities and looking for what other people think. I am not trying to ram this down peoples throats but everyone always wants to argue the negative possibilities. I can not prove what I suggest is definitely true but on the other hand no one can prove they are not. Both arguments have equal merit.

On the topic of the card as a promotion for the print, I do have a little extra background info to suggest this being a possibility. The 1864 Baltimore City Directory originally published by John W. Woods shows that Geo Gratton owned and operated a book & print gift store (1864) prior to the opening of the BBBE. The C&I print was exactly the kind of thing that he was selling and probably continued to sell at the BBBE.(Before anyone says this does not prove anything, I know - its just a little extra circumstantial evidence to the cause).

I am a Marketing Director myself and what you say is true in modern day advertising, but remember this was the 1860's - they had only just realised that advertising on the back of CDV's was beneficial. Advertising techniques had to evolve into what they are today. The Victorians weren’t known for their marketing flair.

Anyway this is all fun and games and I enjoy the debate. It’s just like arguing with my mother about religion - I cannot say for sure and neither can she!

Cheers

Jason