View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Default So What’s Your Story?

Posted By: Kevin Meares

I just joined today and what a thread to start! My first cards were from my friend's doubles, 1976 Topps. He was generous, but the one card he wouldn't give me was the Fred Lynn. How's that? He gave me the Aaron, but no Fred Lynn. That'll tell you when that was--and we lived in California!

But the cards I liked the most were the All-Time All Stars. Seems like I had a new favorite player every other week. First it was Cobb, then Wagner. I settled on Rogers Hornsby. He had his glove in his back pocket. I've still got the Ted Williams with the crease in it from having it under my pillow. Some of them got stolen. I was going to trade during recess and my cards were spread out on the kickball field and before the bell Brett Schiller pretended to be clumsy and dumped a bunch of his cards on top of mine and scooped up some of the "old" ones. I was crushed. I knew what he was doing and I didn't confront him. The next day Scottie Whicher presented me with a stack of cards that must have been ten packs high. He said that some of the kids learned what happened and they had pooled their cards so I wouldn't feel so bad. They didn't have any of the old ones but, there were some good cards, and, well, here they were. I think you know how that made me feel. And there were lots of good cards, some of my favorites, and a Ron LeFlore All-Star on top.

Thanks for the memories.