View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Default it's official baseball in DC

Posted By: john/z28jd

I like how espn conviently forgets that there was baseball before 1900 all the time.They had a story tonight about a team in dc and they said numerous times this is the 3rd time major league baseball will have a team in Washington.

Really espn,are you sure of that because i can count more including the 2 they acknowledge i know of 2 more NL teams,in 1884 they had a UA and AA team and since MLB recognizes the National Association as a major league now,theres another 4 teams

I dont mind if they add in that little 'since 1900' disclaimer,but they didnt even do that

Another mistake they made in print today was saying that every major offensive stat record has been broken more recent than the hits record.....including runs scored.

Heres another false statement,Ruth scored 177 runs in 1921 which topped his record of 158 set the year before unless you count stats for everybody,then youll see Billy Hamilton scored 192 runs in 1894.I dont think im missing some rule that was different pre-1900 about how runs were scored.Im pretty sure it was,make it to first then 2nd then 3rd then home safely before 3 outs are recorded and you score a run so why draw the line anywhere for that record

I always hated when they claim a post-1900 record is the actual record without making mention of the fact.Why draw the line there,if i was Vinny Castilla id claim to hold the post-2003 rbi record and talk about how the game was different back then in the pre-2004 era.Sure some things are different from year to year but those were the recognized rules dont make records more convienant around them.