View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Default it's official baseball in DC

Posted By: Eric

Aside from the new nickname this team will get, I wanted to put in my take on MLB's decision to move the Expo's to Washington. I think this was a poor choice, no offense to the city and residents of Washington DC. MLB provided Washington with 2 previous chances to support a team in the 20th century, one of which was moved after only 10 years of play, the other a version of the Chicago Cubs with a pathetic fan base. While I don't have anything against the city of Washington DC, I do believe that locations like Nashville, Tennessee and Portland, Oregon would have provided legitimate new homes. Had the franchise moved to Portland or Nashville, they would have fit nicely into the American League West, the only four team division, and equalled out the number of teams in each league. There were probably other suitable locations too (Salt Lake City)...so I guess I've failed to see why MLB had Washington pegged from day 1. Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I think the new Washington franchise will be a joke within 10 years.