View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Default 7:55 (Ichiro II)

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Like TBob for much the same reasons, I don't really want to see another 400 hitter in my lifetime. I realize that this is somewhat selfish, but as a kid I was a hugh Williams fan. Saw my first game in 46 and saw him play in about 200 games including last game. In 54 about 10 of my 7th grade classmates saw him in first game back from Korea at end of season, when the shool called my mother she told them that she was sure we had taken the train to see the game - did catch a little hell when I got home. BTW he hit 400 that year in his limmited season as he had done in 53 in the few games that he played in the beginning of season before going to Korea. In 57 if he had not played through a month of illness in june he would have also hit 400. Williams was an entirelly different hitter than Ichiro and I also love to watch Ichiro hit. Would love to watch him play another half dozen years and wind up with a liffetime batting average over 350 and an average of over 200 hits per season and end up in the HOF. I think he is almost a lock for HOF. He would have been a truly great dead ball era player also. Would love to see him batting first in Boston lineup with Damon second, he would score 150 runs.