View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Default 7:55 (Ichiro II)

Posted By: warshawlaw

Pointed out that this record, unlike many others, is much less affected by external factors (stadium dimensions, etc.) than the others because Ichiro is essentially trying to drive the ball through the same 90' diamond past the same number of defenders.

I do not want to see an asterisk. Yes, Ichiro had 8 more games. He also had night games, better field grooming (no bad hop hits), bigger and more powerful infielders with better gloves (more range, esp. at short and 3rd), and middle relief and closers. His total is amazing and it is especially telling that the next closest total (other than his 242) from the modern era is likely to be 20-25 hits lower. I also find it interesting that at the time Sisler set his records, most if not all of the other single seasons over 240 hits were posted (e.g., Lefty O'Doul at 254, Babe Herman at 241, etc.). Obviously, there was a "perfect storm" of factors in that era that led to so many big hit seasons: great players, juiced ball, weakened pitching, etc. I am willing to bet the same debate was had when these records were set by the proponents of the dead ball era players.

Sisler had a better season, by far, than Ichiro, because of his overall offensiveness . He simply dominated the league and ended up hitting over 30 points better than Ichiro is likely to hit, amazing as that is. In this era of cheap shot homers and jeromy burnitz/adam dunn K or KO baseball, however, I am thrilled to see a blazing fast slap hitter stand with the best. MVP? No way--his team stinks. But amazing nonetheless. I can't wait for his contract to expire so the Yankees can sign him :p