View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Default Today's Auction Find

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Clint, I haven't really gone out of my way to collect Omaha items - and they are much easier to obtain except for those darn N172's. Maybe someday I'll expand out that far...perhaps sooner than later as I just noticed Mastro has a 1969 Omaha Royals uniform up in their next Collector Classic auction.

Barry, that's a great story. Nellie Fox was my dad's favorite player...I'm sure he picked Fox because of his Lincoln ties - My dad would have been too young to remember Fox when he played in Lincoln, but being in a small town you hear stories from the old timers about all of the players who went on to fame in the majors that got their starts here in Lincoln and I'm sure my dad latched onto that as a kid. There was no minor league team here in town when I was a kid. All we had was the Husker baseball team. Pete O'Brien was my favorite on the Huskers in the late 1970s and I followed him all the way through his major league career....at a time when most kids idolized Rickey Henderson, Ozzie Smith and Don Mattingly my favorite player was Pete O'Brien. I still have a huge box full of his cards because everyone that knew me would just give them to me as he was considered a "common". Believe it or not, but I have a binder with about 200 different issues for O'Brien...you wouldn't think there would be that many, but there was. I stopped looking for the ones I didn't have, but I still have that binder...I probably couldn't give it away today.