View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Default How do you guys feel about...

Posted By: davidcycleback

You could also make your own mounts, design and color them as you wish. As long as the mount is identified as modern, there's nothing inherently wrong with mounting an old photo for display. My opinion is it's best for the mount to be different than the period's style so there's no confusion. For example, if you design an 1860s-style mount for a 1920s snapshot, those familiar with photos will know the mount isn't original to the photo. If you design a 2007-style, there also be no confusion. Write on back when made.

I'm generally not for remounting photos, and am against destroying old family photos-- but can imagine an artful and careful collector gussying up photos in a nice way. If one can acceptably matte and frame an old photo, I don't rule out nicely mounting a photo for around the house display.

Another thing, there are also early 1900s folder-mounts. Instead of having the photo pasted onto the mount, they are slipped behind the 'frame.' These fold mounts are often very fancy looking, with studio name etc. You can slip in your photo ever the old photo, and damage neither.