View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Default Should it stay or should it go now? 1927 Cuban Stars panorama.

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

I haven't even discussed it with Sotheby's yet since I haven't decided whether or not to keep it. It's not like I can go out and pick another one up. This is a truly unique panorama that would have a happy home on my wall, but I think it will bother me every time I look at it if I keep it. The more I think about it, the more it doesn't sit right with me.

Add to the condition problems the fact that the bid price was probably not even a legitimate one and I'm leaning more and more towards returning it. When I say the price was not legitimate, I mean due to the absolutely unethical shill bidding (or as some view it, a perfectly acceptable book bid) that the auction company engages in. This might make them less likely to want to take the item back since there might not even be an underbidder that they could sell it to for his or her high bid. Of course, I have no way of knowing if the underbidder was a "book bid" or a legitimate bid, so I suppose it doesn't matter. Since I can't know for sure and wasn't born yesterday, I have to assume the chances are pretty good it was a shill, which would be right in line with normal auction house practices.

Even being shilled, I really wouldn't have minded paying what I paid for the item if it was the same item I was bidding on. But the item I bid on, and the one I received are very, very different. Why they would choose to frame this piece before shipping it is baffling to me. Most panoramic photos aren't sitting in frames for years and years and then discovered, nice and flat, ready to hang on your wall. They're usually rolled up and need to be handled properly and framed professionally to prevent the exact kind of damage this photo has from happening. Seems like an amateur move from a veteran auction house.

If I decide to return it, I'll definitely let you know how that process goes.

I was hoping to hear a few more opinions on this, though. Should I have posted it on the other board since it deals with an auction house that many board members buy vintage cards from? It doesn't seem OT to me and there are clearly more people reading the other board.

-Ryan