View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default Finally An Estate Auction Worth Attending

Posted By: Dan Bretta

This had been to my memory the single worst Summer for estate auctions in my locale that I can ever remember...Nothing and I mean nothing had shown up that fits my collection until today. I was able to pick up a lot of Lincoln Athletics items that I did not have.

Not the best condition, but this is the first 1952 program I've ever run across. I also got two 1949 programs, but I've posted them before so I won't post the ones I got today.
Photobucket

These next two items pertain to the Lincoln Chiefs selling stock...both a little water damaged, but once again the first time I've seen them for sale.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some other items I picked up just because they were baseball - they don't necessarily fit my collection, but I couldn't pass them up.

A Reach Heavy Hitter bat and a 1916-29 Cy Williams LS125
Photobucket

Photobucket

Nice old Spalding split finger and Rawlings Blanchard model catcher's mitt - anyone know the dating on the Spalding tag?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Some items I didn't get were an old red and blue stitch baseball because it was mixed into a box that went higher than the ball was worth, a Hamm's beer baseball themed stored display (only sold for $85, but my friend was bidding on it so I let him have it), and a circa 1940 Montgomery Ward baseball still in the original box - that was very cool, but it was mixed in with Christmas ornaments and another friend told me that if I didn't bid against him he'd just give me the baseball. Well that sure didn't work out well when the box went for way more than it was worth to some lady I'd never seen before....I walked up and asked her if she wanted to sell the ball and she ignored me or didn't hear me, so I asked again and she yelled at me that she wasn't going to sell it to me...."Okay then"....

Oh yeah...and for good measure I couldn't pass up this Ike and Dick sign from 1956...it's huge, approx 3' x 2'. For $5 it was a steal

Photobucket