View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Default Question for Jodi B. (and others)

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Jody,

The popularity of collecting signed gum/tobacco cards did not really take off until the late 1960's. Prior to that, there were a very few pioneering collectors in this field, including Jeff Morey. They started sending gum cards in with mail requests during the previous decade. Before that, signed cards are practically nonexistent, although the odd one turns up on occasion. I want to say that 1939 is the earliest player date of death I can recall seeing on a signed card (an American Caramel). At least that's of recent memory.

On the same token, having 3X5 cards signed through the mail started in full force in the early-mid 1930's. Before that time, it almost seems as though hardly anybody was requesting ballplayers' autographs through the mail. The earliest signed 3X5 I have seen dates from the WWI era, and for now it seems to be an isolated incident. The earliest player death on any 3X5 I have ever owned was 1928. In that instance, the 3X5 was much different in format. It was of very heavy stock, the paper was a high quality linen bond and the corners were slightly machine-rounded. It was also perhaps four or five times as thick as a modern 3X5.