View Single Post
Old 12-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Default Is anyone a bigger dork than Rob Dibble?

Posted By: Judge Dred

From the initial post:

Dibble - he remembers what happened to Lyle Alzado but then turned around and said that if steroids would have made him great for 2 years he would have given up 2 years of his life. Bozo!

Bozo doesn't begin to sum it up. The average life expectancy of an American is 75 years. Alzado died at 42. I saw him on a flight from Portland OR to LAX shortly before he passed away and he was just a shell of the bigger than life person he once had been. It was really sad to see this happening to him. I would have to think that if he had it all to do over again he wouldn't have done it. Unfortunately some cases are very extreme and the ultimate price is paid. For Alzado it wasn't trading a few years of fame for a few years of his life. It was trading a great portion of his life for a few good years of his career.

If I recall correctly a lot of old time ball players had off season jobs to supplement their incomes. I'd have to wonder though, would the players of yesterday have succumed to the temptations of today if they knew the enhancement would have given them possible sports immortality and allowed them to negotiate a contract where they didn't have to work the extra job?