Thread: whats better?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: john/z28jd

Ok,heres the real reason

I bought 2 old judges from Larry Fritsch when he was the only source i knew to get them[aka pre computer days], A Joe Mulvey and a Larry Corcoran.They were the only 2 players i had heard of that were for sale from his catalog at the time.Those were also the only 2 i had for a couple years until i got a computer and went on ebay.I looked up old judges and ending in about 45 minutes was a Larry Corcoran and it wasnt the same variation i had.The card was skinned and only 29 bucks which i thought was an unreal price,so i signed up for ebay and won it from TIK.

About a month later i found another Corcoran and it was different from the 2 i had so i bought that one and at the time i thought 3 OJs of the same player was an amazing accomplishment.I misjudged the population of them of course.Well before i knew better a 4th one was on ebay and i decided to win it,misjudging the ebay time i came home late and missed upping my bid and was outbid by someone who bid about 10 times before they passed my high bid.

Basically that was the first time that happened on ebay for any card and it set me off,if i had won we might never know if i wouldve went Corcoran crazy,but i have and the rest is history.Oddly enough since then[about 4 years] only 2 of the ones i have bought have been off ebay,all the rest have been from board members or dealers.Im not a lunatic tho,dont get me wrong,i plan on stopping when i have them all and i wont steal the one from the library of congress website if i ever find out where it is,so ill never have them all

I find it interesting now to see the spectrum of condition the cards are in and also get an idea of how many of each variation is around still.I will admit that i have one that actually lists him as a RF[right fielder] instead of a pitcher which i thought was pretty cool and ive never heard of before,its also the worst condition card.It makes a little sense since he did play RF just as much as pitch his last season which was 1887

Theres the whole story[sort of]