View Single Post
Old 12-19-2004, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Default Favorite Ty Cobb & Babe Ruth Cards

Posted By: John Spencer

Being both a Cobb and Ruth vintage collector and suffering s spell of insomnia last night, I pondered in the wee hours of the morning what were my favorite cards of these 2 baseball titans. I would like to hear the thoughts of others but there is one condition (this is my post): You have to actually have the cards in your hot little hands or locked away in some safe place. Here goes:
Cobb: 1. T227 Honest Long Cut - terrific unique pose of Cobb on an oversized card to boot. Very condition sensitive given way they were packed. Mine is a PSA 6
2. T3 Turkey Red. What more can one say about this beautiful card that hasn't already been said. Mine is ungraded but I would say it is ex.
3. E95 Philadelphia Caramel. Best artwork of any E card. Cobb almost looks noble here. Mine is an SGC 50
4. T202 Cobb/Jennings - Hughie is a throw-in but that Conlon 'foto of Tyrus sliding in spikes high (and probably sharpened)to me sums up "when it was a game".Mine is a PSA 5
5.T5 Pinkerton with Cobb reaching high for the ball. Great 'foto used on several e cards. Mine is ungraded but I would guess about ex+

Ruth
1. M101-5 Sporting News - The Babe's rookie, of course. Probably the cornerstone of my collection. Mine is an SGC 70.
2. '33 Goudey #149 - Just love the red background. Mine is a PSA 6
3. E121 series of 120 = Montage. A 'foto that was photographically way ahead of its time. Mine is a PSA 4.
4. US Caramel - not everybody's favorite but I like the sheepish look on Babe's face. He probably had had a late night out and was being bawled out by Huggins.Mine is a PSA 6
5. E121 series of 80 - pitching for the Yankees but still in a Red Sox uniform. Mine is an SGC40
Now for extra credit. What are your least favorite cards of the two.
Cobb: W512 - Cobb was no beauty but was it possible to make him look as ugly as this card depicts.
Ruth: E121 series of 80 - holding bird. What a goofy card!. And who was that guy standing next to Ruth? The aviary curator of the Bronx Zoo, perhaps?